Participation in INI programmes is by invitation only. Anyone wishing to apply to participate in the associated workshop(s) should use the relevant workshop application form.
Original URL: http://www.newton.ac.uk/programmes/FID/index.html
Isaac Newton Institute for Mathematical Sciences
Finite to Infinite Dimensional Dynamical Systems
1 July - 31 December 1995
Organisers: P Constantin (Chicago), JD Gibbon (Imperial College, London), JK Hale (Georgia Tech), C Sparrow (Cambridge). ASI Organiser: P Glendinning (Cambridge)
The nonlinear behaviour of dynamical systems is of great and continuing interest in mathematics and throughout the sciences. To make progress in a large number of important nonlinear problems it is necessary to use both analytic techniques from the theory of partial differential equations, and geometric methods from the theory of finite dimensional systems. The programme will bring together experts in both finite and infinite dimenional systems, and aims to make progress in such areas as spatio-temporal chaos, pattern formation, attractors in infinite dimensional systems, and other problems where experimental and numerical results suggest that both theories play an important role.
NATO ASI: 21 Aug-1 Sep.
The following `Special Topic' meetings or workshops have been organised. Further details and information about how to register may be obtained by clicking on the appropiate link.
- Finite Dimensional Dynamics: 24-28 Jul, Glendinning, Sparrow.
- Singularities in PDEs: 28 Aug-1 Sep, Constantin.
- Inertial Manifolds, Approximate Inertial Manifolds and Nonlinear Galerkin Methods: 9-13 Oct, Titi.
- Scaling phenomena in nonlinear physics: 16-20 Oct, Procaccia.
- Pattern Dynamics: 23-27 Oct, Rand, Fife, Glendinning, Hale.
- Dynamics and symmetry: 30 Oct-3 Nov, Chillingworth.
- LMS Spitalfields Day: A Dynamical Systems Approach to PDEs: Sat 11th Nov.
- Dynamics of Piecewise Linear PDEs: 16-17 Nov, Doole, Hogan.
- Current Issues and Controversies in Biological Dynamics: 27 Nov-1 Dec, Rand.
- Accuracy and Error Control in ODE and PDE systems: 4-5 Dec, Moore DR and others.
- PDEs and low order models: 6-8 Dec, Proctor, Rucklidge, Weiss.
Main organiser: PA Glendinning.
J Ball, Dynamics and Variational Principles; L Bunimovich, Lattice Dynamical Systems; J Carr, Infinite Dimensional Systems & Metastability; P Collet, Unbounded Domains, Spectral Problems & Nonlinear Dynamics; P Constantin, Mathematical Fluid Dynamics; P Coullet, Qualitative Theory of Symmetry Breaking in Extended Systems: Patterns and Topological Singularities; P Cvitanovic, Transfer Operator Methods in Dynamical Systems; P Glendinning, Finite Dimensional Chaos; J Hale, Global Attractors and Partial Differential Equations; P Holmes, Low Dimensional Dynamics of Coherent Structures; I Procaccia, Scaling Phenomena in Systems Far from Equilibrium; D Rand, Spatial Dynamics in Ecology, Evolution and Epidemiology.
EURO-CONFERENCE: 4 Sep-15 Sep.
Organiser: J Robinson.
Approximately 100 participants (including those already resident with the programme at the Institute) are expected for a research meeting covering many of the areas of interest to the programme.