To apply for Junior Membership of the Institute please complete the Application Form.
Junior members will receive:
- regular advance information about programmes, workshops, conferences and other Institute events
- detailed information about any workshops of an instructional or general nature, likely to be of special interest to young researchers
- information about suitable sources of funding or support for visits to the Institute, when available.
Newton Institute Junior Member Grants
The Institute receives sponsorship from the London Mathematical Society and Microsoft Research Limited as well as making available some of its general funds specifically to support involvement by Junior Members in Institute activities. The types of involvement supported include (but are not limited to) attendance at workshops, conferences etc, and visits of up to 2 weeks to work or study with longer-term participants in the Institute's programmes.
.....to attend workshops, conferences, and summer schools
- Junior Members wishing to attend workshops or conferences should register by the appropriate closing date as instructed on the advance publicity in the normal way. They should indicate on their registration/application form that they are Junior Members of the Institute. They will then be considered for whatever sources of funding are available for the workshop, including Junior Member Grants.
- In visits of this type, it is not necessary to make a separate application for a Junior Member Grant.
- Junior Member Grants, when awarded, will normally be sufficient to cover any registration costs for workshops etc, and may cover accommodation, subsistence and travel expenses as appropriate.
- The publicity for most meetings tells you who to contact if you have questions, but you may also send e-mail to email@example.com if your enquiry specifically concerns Junior Membership of the Institute.
.....and for other visits
- When applying to visit a programme for purposes other than attending a workshop or conference, it may add weight to your application if you specify which of the longer-term participants you particularly hope to work with (and normally their agreement should be sought in advance).
- Grants will be allocated on a rolling basis, but there will only be a limited number available for each programme. You should apply as early as possible, and in any case not later than 2 months before your intended visit.
- Applications should be sent by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org, stating purpose of visit and dates, support requested, and reason why support is not available from other sources, in particular from any Doctoral Training Grants.