Organisers:JCR Hunt (UK Meteorological Office), ME McIntyre (Cambridge), J Norbury (Oxford), I Roulstone (UK Meteorological Office)
There will be a regular seminar programme throughout the period. The seminars and short topical meetings will focus on the following subject areas:
- Mathematical structure in low-order geophysical fluid approximations such as balanced equations, semi-geostrophic theory and generalizations: Hamiltonian methods; potential vorticity inversion; Monge-Ampere equation for non-smooth solutions (2nd boundary value problem); material transport and rearrangement theory. A workshop on Low-order Models will take place 21-25 October, and a one day meeting of the Dynamical Problems Specialist Group of the Royal Meteorological Society on Nonlinear Mathematics of the Atmosphere and Oceans will take place on Wednesday 30th October.
- Fast-slow interactions (wave-vortex interactions); weak convergence (with application to slow/inertial manifold theory). A workshop on Dynamica Systems Approach to Ocean/Atmosphere Sciences is scheduled for 26th-30th August.
- Variational methods; duality; data assimilation; control theory; minimization. A workshop on Mathematical Problems in Atmospheric and Oceanic Data Assimilation is scheduled for 16-20 September; and a meeting on Variational Data Assimilation Systems will take place on 12th and 13th September.
- Numerical methods with invariance properties; symplectic integration; constrained hamiltonian systems; the approximation of inertial manifolds; adaptive grids and front tracking; non-smooth optimization. A workshop on The Numerical Mathematics of Weather Dynamics is scheduled for 23-27 September.
There will be a number of cross-cutting themes and agendas within 1-4, in particular:
- Large scale transport and mixing; new numerical algorithms and their effects in climate and ocean modelling.
- Lagrangian perspectives.
A conference on Ocean Dynamics is planned for 9-13th September. Workshops on Non-conservative Processes and Statistics of Vortices in Geophysical Flows are scheduled for 19th-23rd August and 21st October-1st November, respectively. In addition, a workshop on Stirring and Mixing in the Atmosphere and Oceans (tentatively 11-15 November) is being considered.
From 8-26th July a number of introductory/survey talks will be given; timetables will be available here.
A conference on Changing Approaches to Modelling the Atmosphere and Oceans will take place from 16-19 December. Visitors are most welcome to attend these meetings.